Magret - Breast of Duck
|2 Magrets (1 lb. each)
||2 T. Demi-Glace
|1 shallot, finely chopped
||Salt & Pepper to taste
|1 c. red wine
1. Score the skin of the Magret with a knife, making
the squares as small as possible without cutting into the meat.
2. Season with salt & pepper on both sides.
3. Place in a hot skillet skin side down over high
heat. Cook for 8 minutes, while continuously draining off the rendered
4. Flip over and lower heat to medium; cook for 4
5. Cover Magret with foil to keep warm and set aside.
Drain fat from pan, leaving one T. of fat in the pan. Saute shallots
in the duck fat until they are translucent. Add wine and reduce
6. Add Demi-Glace & reduce by half. Season with
salt & pepper.
7. Slice Magret in 1/2" slices. Lay slices on
warm platters in a fan.
8. Spoon sauce over Magret slices & serve with
green beans and scalloped potatoes.
Fruits: At step 6 add your favorite fresh berries,
grapes or chopped fuits (apples, pears, etc.)
Herbs/Peppercorns: At step 6 add a few Tablespoons
of your favorite fresh herbs finely chopped or peppercorns.
Truffle: At step 6 whisk in 2 T. Truffle Butter.
Recipe courtesy of D'Artagnan